culture

My Italian Love Affair with Panzerotti

About two years ago I fell in love (and no I’m not referring to meeting my husband right now). As soon as I first bit into a delicious panzerotto there was no turning back. Since that day my life has been changed with this wonderful little salty treat.

Panzerotti are the most delicious deep fried mini calzone type yummy-ness. Imagine pizza dough with just a little tomato sauce and fresh milky mozzarella, the kind you can only find in Italy. These two ingredients are lovingly folded inside the dough, then it’s deep fried, creating a crunchy delicious little pocket filled with gooey, stringy, decadent mozzarella. To say the least they are amazing!

Panzerotti come from the southern region of Puglia and can be found there in almost every bar and pizzeria, and cost between 1-3 Euros. You can also find them throughout the rest of the country, however, they are a bit more difficult to stumble upon and generally cost slightly more and are rarely the same quality.

Puglia is where my in-laws live, and where I met my husband. It is a region full of farm land and olive groves. The food is always fresh and it is common to only eat locally grown products. I remember being mesmerized as my father in-law showed me their land. We walked through the olive trees from which their olive oil is made (as well as ours because we are lucky enough to get shipped the oil from them on a regular basis), and then wandered into an orange grove where different citrus trees created the most wonderful aroma. The land is beautiful and the sun always seems to be shining. My in-laws also grow pomegranates, tomatoes, artichokes, and many other fruits and vegetables, as well as having chickens for fresh eggs.  Every season at their home is a treat. I’ve tasted fruits and vegetables that I never knew existed and have become used to the fresh organic taste of Pugliese food.

When I first arrived in Puglia, I was shocked by how much food was consumed at lunch. They say Americans eat a lot…..false. We may eat poorly and have ridiculous proportions. However, I have never sat at a table so abundantly full of food as is often (almost every lunch) done in Puglia.  Food is not a necessity for life, it is a way of life. You don’t eat because you’re hungry but because Nonna has made you something delicious and you will love it. Eating is a way to enjoy life, to spend time with friends and family, and a time to take a break from work and relax.

My Italian Family

A typical package sent from my in-laws of all the southern goodies for our home in the North

A few months back I got the pleasure of spending an evening with my mother-in-law back at their southern home and learning how to make panzerotti. Below I’ve shared the recipe. That way, regardless of where you are in the world you can try my favorite food.

Panzerotti Fritti (Fried Panzerotti) Recipe:

Serves: This recipe makes about 25 panzerotti, so it feeds at least  10 people (because of course in Italy you’d make enough for the entire extended family)

Prep time: takes a couple hours (trust me, it is worth it!)

Ingredients:

1 Kg (this is about a bag of flour) all purpose flour

1 Cup of milk

2 generous pinches of salt

A yeast packet

2.5 cups of water

1 Kg of mozzarella

A large jar of tomatoe sauce

Directions:

Step 1: Put the flour in a bowl and create a crater where you now mix the milk and yeast together.

Step 2: Add water and salt, and mix until it into a dough (basic pizza dough)

Step 3: let the dough rise for a half hour.

Step 4: while the dough rises, slice the mozzarella into small cubes and mix with the tomatoe sauce.

Step 5: after a have hour, separate the dough into a large golf ball/small tennis ball size servings (here it makes roughly 25)

Step 6: use a rolling pin to roll the dough flat (like a mini pizza)

Step 7: place a spoonful of the mozzeralla and tomatoe mixture in the middle of the dough.

Step 8: Fold the dough in half closing the mozzerella inside. Pinche the edges tight, first with your fingers and then with a fork. This way nothing will leak out while they are being fried.

Step 9: fry them in boiling oil until the dough becomes a darker shade of brown.

Step 10: Enjoy the most delicious food ever!

Thanks for reading! Let us know if you try and make panzerotti, and how it goes! Send us pictures and tag us on instagram @theitalianizedblonde

Buon Appetito,

Abby

P.S. I love Panzerotti so much that they were the only food I requested to have at our wedding 😉

16 Comments

1. Felicia

February 18, 2017 at 2:42 PM

Love this and wish I could find a good panzerotto in Bangkok now! Can’t wait to try the recipe 🙂

1. Abigail

February 18, 2017 at 8:52 PM

Thanks for reading, tag us in a pic if you try and make them! Happy traveling x

2. Sara White

February 18, 2017 at 3:25 PM

I love panzerotti! I tried them last spring while in Puglia and it was love at first bite for me too – why do Italians have to be so good at deep-fried food!? Thanks for sharing the recipe – I had forgotten all about panzerotti lately and I definitely want to try making them at home (and I’m sure my fidanzato, who is Pugliese on his father’s side of the family, would absolutely love it if I did).

1. Abigail

February 18, 2017 at 8:51 PM

How cool! Well if you try the recipe make sure to tag us in a pic of the panzerotti! I’d love to see how they turn out!!

3. Penny

February 18, 2017 at 5:08 PM

That just made my mouth water. We have a similar dish in Goa but it is stuffed with prawns and cheese. The outer part is coated with breadcrumbs. Tastes absolutely yummy!

1. Abigail

February 18, 2017 at 6:23 PM

Sounds delicious! What is it called? I’ll have to look it up! Thanks for reading!

4. Leah Sullivan

February 18, 2017 at 11:35 PM

Yum! We’re living so close to Italy right now this makes me want to hop in the van and start driving! If we ever try some I’ll be sure to let you know! :]

1. Abigail

February 19, 2017 at 12:04 PM

Oh where are you all right now?! You should definitely make Italy a stop!!

5. Dóra

February 19, 2017 at 7:16 PM

Ohh this sounds soooo delicous! I lied for half a year in the North of Italy (Trento), but I didn’t meet this dish. Even though I am sure that there’s no italian food that is not super yummy! I also fell in love in Italy, although my boyfriend is German 🙂 I saved the recipe thank you for sharing!

1. Abigail

February 19, 2017 at 11:58 PM

Thanks for reading! Tell me how they turn out! (And isn’t Italy the best place to fall in love?! 🙂 )

6. Valerielog

February 24, 2017 at 3:09 PM

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say great blog!
    marketing small business ideas

1. Abigail

February 25, 2017 at 10:19 PM

Thanks so much! Too bad we couldn’t see the long post you wrote!

7. SarahWaype

February 25, 2017 at 1:22 PM

I have to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this site. I am hoping to view the same high-grade content from you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own website now 😉
    masters in education http://www.edutips.eu

8. Dina Mcclean

March 2, 2017 at 4:48 PM

“Great Blogpost! Hello there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok. I’m definitely enjoying_ your blog and look forward to new posts.”

1. Abigail

March 3, 2017 at 4:08 PM

Hi there! Unfortunately twitter and Snapchat are the only social media networks we don’t have :/ Hopefully one day we will get them all set up!

9. Marica Travieso

March 5, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Hi there, I found your blog via Google while looking for a related topic, your website came up, it looks great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.