culture

Life in Pinerolo

Pinerolo is a smaller city about 21 miles from Turin, Italy with a population of 35, 697. Well, plus “one” if we are being accurate. πŸ˜‰ It is situated just under an hour drive from the gorgeous Alps and 1.5 hours from the border of France. To give you a brief history of the town, Pinerolo was once a trading route between France and Italy and was even occupied by France in the 16th and 17th century. The main attractions are the Cathedral of San Donato originally dating back to the 9th century, the gothic style church of San Maurizio on the hill, the Galup Factory full of sweets and cakes from the region of Piedmont (delicious!) and the old town center.Β The city is situated with a perfect and picturesque view of the mountains. I am positive that I will never get tired or forget to appreciate this beauty. About every day I draw the two sweet Italian boys I look after to look up at the snow-capped mountains and see how beautiful they are! The oldest has even begun to point them out himself.

When I first arrived a few months ago I instantly noticed that the city was so sweet with characteristics that were unique and a community of people that are proud to be Pinerolesi. I now have my favorite spots to visit depending on the weather. A warm day will draw me to Giardino De Amicis (park), Piazza Vittorio Veneto or Piazza Garibaldi where there is plenty of people watching. I love to ride my bike or take a walk to a quiet place to read or write at places such as the Torrente Chisone (river), out in the countryside with open fields or relaxing on a bench up the steps of San Maurizo overlooking the city. There is also a lovely outdoor farmer’s market every Wednesday and Saturday where all the locals pick up their fresh produce for the week. On a cold, wintery day you can find me in Cafe Letterario in Libreria Volare or Mondadori Bookstore tucked away in a corner sipping on coffee, eating cakes and pastries, yummy lunches, or drinking wine (sometimes all in one sitting…I’m probably very rude for staying too long but I love it too much to stop ;). I also love to pop into any open churches to talk to God, read my bible or just sit in awe of the beautiful architecture inside. It never gets old.

Even after being in Pinerolo in all it’s glory, I will admit, that in many ways my heart was calling to be apart of the big city life and closer to friends in Turin. But the longer I live in Pinerolo, the more my eyes have opened to the hidden gems that were quickly overshadowed by all the weekends away and things to see and do in bigger and “better” places. I realize now, that I didn’t give my attention to this small Piedmont town long enough and that it has slowly been fighting to be noticed ever since. Well, now I’m looking and I’m here to stay until Spring. πŸ™‚

If you are passing through the Piedmont region (which I could write a ton more about things to see and do in Northern Italy), please stop and visit Pinerolo. I think that everyone can find something to love here! During this season of my life, I want to live in the here and now. Appreciate the smaller places around Italy that rarely have foreigners, let alone Americans living in their city. Where I can experience the true Italian life among the locals and take a piece of what they have to offer if only for a little while.

Con Tanto Amore,

Emily

25 Comments

1. Chloe

December 23, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Will have to visit on my way up to Aosta Valley one time. Lovely words Emily, from a fellow Italy lover. Keep being amazing. Chloe πŸ™‚

1. wp_7681248

December 24, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Thank you so much, Chloe! If you head this way let’s meet up and I’ll give you the grand tour of the city. πŸ™‚

2. Natalie Dinsfriend

January 12, 2017 at 8:20 PM

wow emily. I love all your photographs. Do you take them with your iphone? or one of your special cameras? I have to admit that I’m catching up on some of these blogs–and I’m sad I didn’t stay tuned from the beginning. (real reason is because for whatever reason, my phone doesn’t let me view your blog… but I just got a new laptop–so now I’m reading them!)

So you plan to stay in this little town until Spring? Little towns have my heart. But I understand that a city can feel less lonely and more connected with the world. How far away are you from Turin (is Turin near Rome?). Also, do you mostly bike places, or do you take a train etc.?

1. Emily

January 12, 2017 at 8:51 PM

Hi Nabes, thank you! Most are taken on my DSLR camera (or currently my host family’s camera). My phone here is a pretty old Android and has terrible camera quality so I try not to use it much because the pictures are always blurry. New laptops are great! You need to stay up to date!

I do plan to stay until March. I like it in Pinerolo but I often travel to Turin by train which takes 45 minutes one way. I’ve gotten used to it but sometimes it gets on my nerves because the transport here is a little less than reliable. However, I get plenty of random naps, time to put on my makeup without endangering my life and others and reading time in. I often stay the night in Turin with Abby and her hubby, Lorenzo so I don’t have to travel as much. πŸ™‚

Love you and thank you for commenting and reading!

3. Natalie Dinsfriend

January 12, 2017 at 8:22 PM

Oh, i just re-read that you’re 21 miles from Turin. πŸ™‚

1. Emily

January 12, 2017 at 8:53 PM

OH! And I ride my bike all the time in Pinerolo to and from the train or bus station or anytime I am going around the town πŸ™‚

4. Joe

January 16, 2017 at 6:17 PM

ciao, and thank you for this beautiful post about our city!
    if you want to see some “special” view of Pinerolo, take a look at my Facebook page, Lo spazzacamino di Pinerolo (Pinerolo’s Chimneysweeper) πŸ˜‰

1. Emily

January 16, 2017 at 9:58 PM

Ciao Joe! Thank you for reading. Your city is lovely! I will check out Pinerolo’s Chimneysweeper as you suggested. Please keep following along and reading. Thank you!

5. Jason

January 18, 2017 at 4:03 PM

I’m now not certain where you are getting your information, but good topic.
    I must spend a while finding out much more or working out more.

Thanks for great info I was looking for this info for my mission.

1. Emily

January 19, 2017 at 9:55 AM

Hi Jason,

Most of the facts are based from Pinerolo’s city page or other websites. Thanks for reading along!

6. Fabrizio

January 20, 2017 at 5:30 PM

Hello Emily, i’m Fabrizio I’m born and I live in Pinerolo, very good review of my town, but you’ve forgot the best of this land… our mountains!
    Look this landscape from Pinerolo:-) (last week)

Bye
    Fabrizio

7. Fabrizio

January 20, 2017 at 9:52 PM

Look also this one from my friend who lives in old Pinerolo. (This evening):

1. Emily

January 21, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Hi Fabrizio, thank you for the comment. The photos are both lovely! Pinerolo has amazing views of the Alps and I love it everyday. πŸ™‚

8. Bill

January 22, 2017 at 9:25 PM

These are really wonderful ideas in regarding blogging.
    You have touched some pleasant points here.

Any way keep up wrinting.

9. Flynn

January 26, 2017 at 11:13 PM

These are actually great ideas in concerning blogging.
    You have touched some pleasant things here. Any
    way keep up wrinting.

10. Carol

January 26, 2017 at 11:26 PM

I have read so many articles about the blogger lovers but
    this piece of writing is really a pleasant article, keep it up.

1. Emily

January 26, 2017 at 11:30 PM

Wow, that is a wonderful compliment! Thank you so much. Please keep following along with future posts. Thank you for reading!

11. Emory

February 5, 2017 at 8:50 PM

Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon on a daily
    basis. It will always be useful to read through content from other writers and use a little something from their sites.

12. Alton

February 9, 2017 at 10:32 PM

This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am in fact
    pleassant to read everthing at single place.

13. http://www.flashdrivexpress.com/

February 10, 2017 at 4:41 AM

Everything is very open with a really clear explanation of the challenges.
    It was definitely informative. Your website is extremely helpful.
    Many thanks for sharing!

14. Valeri Mcalary

March 2, 2017 at 10:33 PM

“Great Blogpost! Hello mates, nice post and good arguments commented here, I am in fact_ enjoying by these.”

1. Emily

March 3, 2017 at 9:00 AM

Thank you so much for reading!

15. corburt erilio

March 3, 2017 at 10:50 PM

Some genuinely nice stuff on this internet site, I love it.

1. Emily

March 4, 2017 at 9:55 PM

Thank you so much! We appreciate you following along and reading. πŸ™‚